Theme and Variations

Thoughts and experiences of exploring classical, jazz, and other art music.

Friday, July 17, 2009

Beethoven's Choral Works

Not much to say here...I'm not really into choral music. So why did I get it? Well, it was a bargain collection, and, well, I didn't used to like opera, but now I do, so my tastes sometimes change.

The first work of the collection is a funeral cantata on the death of Emperor Joseph II, followed by a cantata on the Accession of Emperor Leopold II. Neither of these pieces were published in Beethoven's lifetime.

I wrote about the evening of the premier of Herr Ludwig's Fifth and Sixth symphonies, and this collection includes the Choral Fantasy that ended that busy night.

Well, that covers Beethoven, and, in fact, I will be posting my next artist soon.